Reserve Africaine Sigean, it’s a big park for animals [300 hectares surface] divided into two areas. First area is a drive through area, in this area you can see the animals such as bears, lions, and rhinoceros live in nature – cage free, from your car. You have to drive slowly [10 kph/6 mph], because occasionally some animals will be on your way and blocking the passage. You don’t want to crash them. Just be patient, and enjoy it.
Second area is the one that can be visited on foot. You can walk and see the animals live in their habitat, separated by the walls or ropes as their barriers to protect visitors from accident a cause the animals and vice versa.
I had a high expectation about this park, and finally it’s way too far from what I already imagined. For 32 euros entry fee [which is quite expensive for me], I feel this park has lack of interesting activities for the visitors, especially for children. Yes, they have a goat parc who can be entered, free of charge. But that’s it, I’ve seen better.
I think they have to start thinking about attracting young visitors by giving them some real activities, so they can feel attached by those animals. I can tell you that I don’t have a special attachment to this place. It’s too bad. So nope, Monsieur and I decided not to come back again.
• it’s better to visit this park in morning time, especially in summer time [when it gets too hot the animals prefer to stay in the shade so it will be difficult to you to see them].
• if at first drive you can’t see them try to come back later, BE PATIENT!. You have to be patient and keep your eyes wide open to spot them.
• if you are with kids, take your time to walk and see the animals. It’s a big park, make a break between your walk because your kids will be exhausted.
• bring your camera with a good TELE LENS if you want to take pictures, other wise you’ll get nothing because we can’t get too close to the animals.
• don’t forget to clean your car’s windows because you can’t open them to take pictures. So if your windows are clean it will be easier for you to take pictures from inside of your car.
Reserve Africaine Sigean
Address : RD 6009 – 19, chemin Hameau du lac. 11130 SIGEAN – FRANCE
Open everyday at 9.00 am or 8.30 am in June, July and August. The ticket box is closed at 6.00 pm but the park is closed at 7.00 pm.
Entry Fee for adult is 32 €, children [4 -14 yo] is 23 €, and for disabled person is 13,5 €. You can book your ticket by their website.